iambookseater

Books Eater

It's All Things Bookish....

Because Life is short and there is so much to read, read fast!

The Unpopular Opinions About Books

1. Popular books or series that you didn’t like.

Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James is definitely one such series. I only read the first few chapters of the first book and hated it instantly. After that, there was no point in continuing reading. I don’t know if it gets better later or maybe it just wasn’t for me, but there was no way I was going to waste time reading it when I didn’t like it at all.

Another book that everyone seems to like but I don’t is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I know it is a very quotable book. I myself love so many quotes from it but the story itself was nothing good, as far as, I think. Don’t get me wrong though I do enjoy a good gothic romance that one just wasn’t for me.

2. Popular books or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love.

I think Mansfield Park by Jane Austen can be considered one such book. I am not sure how popular it is though, but people seem to hate it for some reason. I, on the other hand, loved it. After Pride and Prejudice, it is my second most favorite book by Jane Austen.

People also seem to dislike Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo for some reason. I think the book is a work of art and I can see why it is so popular. I really loved it!

3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you didn’t want them to end up with or an OTP you don’t like.

This list can go on and on, and never end (lol). First of all, I want to mention that I generally do not like love triangles. I know they are very common in romance especially YA books but I tend to stay away from them. Especially, the ones where the protagonist seems to be attracted to both the contenders and have a hard time choosing one of them. That is just not something I enjoy reading. Still, sometimes books are so well-written and this whole scenario is downplayed in a way that it is interesting to read.

I guess The Twilight Saga by Stephnie Meyer will be the first on the list. I really wanted Bella to end up with Jacob but we all know that wasn’t going to happen.

4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.

That is the contemporary romance. I tend to read more of fantasy, paranormal, historical, and other sub-genres of romance than contemporary. Not that I have anything against it but I just love fantasy aspect of the stories more.

5. Popular or beloved characters that you do not like.

I think by now even you can guess it. Edward Cullen is definitely one such character. So is Heathcliff. And let’s not forget everyone’s beloved Anastasia Steele. (I am sure you can guess which books I’m talking about here).

6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.

That would be Sidney Sheldon. Back when I was a teenager everyone seemed to love his books and they were the talk of those days but I never liked his work. Although to be fair I only read one book by him i.e. A Stranger in the Mirror. But I disliked it so much that I never picked another one.

7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing.

Well, to be completely honest I don’t mind any tropes at all. To me, the most important thing is that the book is well-written and the characters are likable. If that is the case then everything else goes.

8. Popular series that you have no interest in reading.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I love the Outlander serial and really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars movie but I have no interest in reading these books. The former because I don’t think I will like to read it and the later because I know it will only make me cry. But mostly I am not reading these books because I watched the serial/movie first and I already know what will happen in the books. I usually don’t like spoilers. They make me lose interest in the story.

9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?

The Twilight Saga by Stephnie Meyer is one of the series which I did not enjoy reading as much as I loved its movies.

Source: http://iambookseater.wordpress.com/2018/12/23/the-unpopular-bookish-opinions